Black Diamond Kits

Black Diamond Kits
Sage's Kits, Nine Weeks Old

Friday, September 12, 2014

Picky Eaters... Or Not

Muddy Buddy had not eaten for two days and wasn't drinking much, either.  He had lost six ounces.  We have dealt with wool block before, and this was not it.  There was nothing abnormal about his poop, other than the amount. He looked as happy as ever, but his water bottle had not been touched.  I asked Becky, and she told me to flavor it with some Gatorade.  She brought it back to my attention that before he was vaccinated, I had been putting a few drops of grapefruit seed extract in his water bottle.  I put a few drops into his water and brought it over to him during his playtime.  (It was highly unlikely that any rabbit would stop for water during playtime.)  He started drinking like there was no tomorrow.  I held the water bottle there for him for 3-5 minutes, just letting him drink.  I decided to put him back in his cage with his new flavored water bottle.  I thought I had figured it out.

But the next day, he had drank some, but not his usual.  I brought him out for playtime and didn't want to bring his water bottle out, too, so I just brought out a watering crock.  He drank and drank and drank.  I then checked the water bottle.  It worked fine, but he liked the crock more.  I gave him lots of strawberry leaves, wild bird seed, and a half slice of bread to keep some weight on him.  He is  now eating his magic mix (Betty Chu's own recipe), along with the bird seed, as happy as ever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment