The eight kits produced over 1.4 ounces of fiber in four different colors: white, sable agouti (a light gray), chestnut (a darker gray), and fawn (cream).
I decided that Lydia should have something knit from these kits to remember this remarkable litter (she'll gross over $850 from them, and net about $720). Because there were so many little tangles, I needed a project where that wouldn't be a problem. And I needed something that would be quick to knit, as I wanted to enter it in the Nevada State Fair, in the Nevada Home Grown hand spun and hand knit competition. I really should have started thinking about that a lot sooner.
Anyway, I wanted to use all the different colors, so I spun each color for about twenty minutes before changing colors. I then Navajo plied the yarn to keep the colors separate from one another.
Lydia didn't like the resulting colors of the yarn. Truth be told, neither did I. I think I would have liked it better knitted up, but we'll never know for sure.
So I asked Lydia if she wanted me to dye the yarn. She wanted a light blue. I used sapphire blue from Dharma Dye. I tried to make it light. I failed. But Lydia liked the color anyway.
I forgot to take a picture of the dyed skein before knitting. Oops.
I had selected this pattern to use for the cowl. http://purlavenue.com/2013/09/simple-lace-mohair-scarf.html. I think it's beautiful and thought it would work really well with the yarn.
But I was in a hurry. I had only six days left to finish it before it needed to be entered in the fair. After knitting about an inch, I decided it just wasn't going to work. So I had to look for another pattern.
This is the one I settled on, the Cashmere Cowl by Purlbee. http://www.purlbee.com/2006/11/16/cashmere-cowl/
I decided to use size 9 needles instead of size 8. I think that was a mistake. And because I was making it for Lydia, I made it slightly smaller.
Here's how it turned out.
Now, off to the fair.