I thought the girls might enjoy some angora bed socks this winter. Now bed socks differ from regular socks in a couple of important ways. They are knit with heavier yarn on larger needles, so the project goes a lot more quickly. I used some angora fiber that had little mats and tangles, so the yarn wasn't uniform. Bed socks are not meant to be worn with shoes. With the mats and the looser knit, they would be really uncomfortable.
So I chose some merino dyed in a color I didn't like and spun it up.
|Merino roving in a color I didn't like.|
|Angora fiber dyed first and then carded on a drum carder.|
|I spun and plied the two together. They were a really ugly blend.|
I tried captioning the above photo as Lydia's socks, but every time I tried, the photo disappeared. It's late, and I got tired of playing that game, so here is the photo without the caption.
Anyway, each sock took about 80 yards of yarn. I used US4 needles. And to keep it a surprise, I had to guess as to whether I was getting the size right for each girl. Lydia's were a perfect fit. I have to re-do Charlotte's. :( Lydia has been wearing hers every night. Charlotte is getting impatient for me to get moving on hers.