Black Diamond Kits

Black Diamond Kits
Sage's Kits, Nine Weeks Old

Thursday, August 28, 2014

The Advantages of Joining 4-H


When I learned what 4-H was, I thought it would be smart to join to learn about the rabbit I was raising.  Joining turned out to be a great idea. 

Why?

First, I had no idea how to actually handle my rabbit.  I obviously did not want to hurt my rabbit, and I didn’t want to scare him, either.  I learned how to support his body properly, how to check for ear mites, and how to check his teeth.

My first rabbit, Indy.  My sweetest rabbit unfortunately had a heart condition.  He passed away in June.

Because he was a French angora, I learned about wool block and how to treat it.  At one of the 4-H shows, I learned I was feeding him and my other rabbit the wrong feed.  Contrary to what a 4-H member told us, French angoras actually need a lower protein feed, about 15-16%, rather than the 18% I was feeding them.  

I also learned that I was over-plucking my rabbits.  

Ninja joined the rabbitry in November 2013, two days before Thanksgiving.

There are great opportunities for leadership, though I have not yet run for office.  I probably will next time elections are held.

In showmanship, which I was really afraid of, I learned how to show my rabbit properly and that it was really a lot of fun.  It is actually a health check that also helps me to identify better rabbits.    
Finally, I also really learn a lot at shows.  I get advice on feed and care.  If I have a new rabbit, I can take it and ask a 4-H leader to judge it, which has been really successful. 

1 comment: