Black Diamond Kits

Black Diamond Kits
Sage's Kits, Nine Weeks Old

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Granded as a Junior

As you may remember, Ninja and Tootsie's litter consisted of six does and one buck.  Out of the seven, I have kept two and sold the rest.  Of the two that I have kept, Sage, the chocolate steel doe, has already been granded.  I am quite proud to say that I am her breeder.  She has won a leg in each of the shows she has attended--two at Gridley and one at Turlock. 

The other doe that I kept is the self black, Phantom.  She, though a beautiful color with fabulous wool (at least, that is what I think), has not done as well.  Phantom and Fudge (the doe that Lydia kept from Snowball's most recent litter) have both been taking last place among the junior does.  You don't compete for that!

After Sage is old enough, I plan to breed her.  This will be in late August, after she reaches nine months of age, and after the worst heat of the summer passes.  She obviously can't go with Ninja, and Cookie is her uncle, so I don't want to do that, either.  It will be either Muddy Buddy or Reese's (Lydia's new buck finally has a name).

1 comment:

  1. We have so much to learn. Sigh. Apparently, a rabbit must have earned at least one leg as a senior to become a grand champion. And now we will have to wait at least a couple of months probably, because Sage just got plucked.

    ReplyDelete