Black Diamond Kits

Black Diamond Kits
Sage's Kits, Nine Weeks Old

Monday, November 24, 2014

4-H Showmanship Script

There are many different ways to do showmanship.  This varies across the country.  This is what I do in Northern Nevada.  There are a lot of Youtubes, which may be helpful in different areas of the country.  I did not find them very helpful. 

My first time doing showmanship as a novice last year, I got 4th place out of four.  I guess I learned from my mistakes, because since then I have gotten first place every time.  One first place novice and three first place intermediate.  My sister, who is a junior, also uses this same script. 

Below is the script that I have used each time except my first.  It is good to know your rabbit vocabulary (malclusion, sore hocks, etc.).  Please note that the script isn't everything.  You must also speak clearly and distinctly, wear the proper uniform, and be confident and well-groomed.

Hello, my name is  _____.  I have been in 4-H for a little over a year now.  I will be doing showmanship, which is a health check.  It is very useful for adding new stock. 

First I will read off my rabbit's ear number:  _______. 

I will now check my rabbit's ears for any mites or matter.  [Check left ear.]  The left ear has no mites or matter.  [Check right ear.]  The right ear has no mites or matter. 

I will now check my rabbit's eyes for any cloudiness or discoloration.  [Check left eye.]  The left eye has no cloudiness or discoloration.  [Check right eye.] The right eye has no cloudiness or discoloration.

I will now turn my rabbit over and check his nose for any redness or discharge.  [Check nose.]  My rabbit's nose has no redness or discharge. 

I will now check my rabbit's teeth for any malclusion or any missing teeth.  [Check teeth.]  My rabbit has no malclusion or missing teeth.

I will now check the nails of my rabbit's front paws for any broken or missing nails.  [Check and count nails on both paws.]  One, two, three, four, dew claw.  One, two, three, four, dew claw.  There are no broken or missing nails on his front paws.  I will now check for sore hocks on his front feet.  [Check front feet.]  He does not have sore hocks. I will now check my rabbit's front legs for straightness. [Check both legs.]  My rabbit's front legs are perfectly straight. 

I will now check my rabbit's chin, chest, and abdomen for any ruptures or abscesses.  [Check abdomen.]  There are no ruptures or abscesses on his chin, chest, or abdomen.

I will now check the nails of my rabbit's back paws for any broken or missing nails.  [Check both back paws and count nails.]  One, two, three, four.  One, two, three, four.  My rabbit's back paws have no broken or missing nails.  I will now check my rabbit's back feet for sore hocks.  [Check both back feet.]  He does not have sore hocks.  I will now check my rabbit's back legs for straightness.  [Check both back legs.]  My rabbit's back legs are perfectly straight.

I will now sex my rabbit.  [Check for sex.]  My rabbit is a buck, so I will now check for both testicles.  [Check for testicles.]  They are both there. 

I will now check my rabbit's tail for wry tail or broken tail.  [Check tail.]  My rabbit's tail is perfectly straight.   

I will now check my rabbit's wool for any mites or dirt.  [Check wool.]  There are no mites or dirt. 

I will now pose my rabbit in all four directions.  [Pose rabbit.]

Do you have any questions?  (If you don't know the answer to a question, do not say, "I don't know."  Say, "I am sorry, I do not know."  Do not bluff.)

No comments:

Post a Comment